Cases and Deals
Since early 2014, VB LAW has been retained as legal counsel by Hitachi Vietnam for the first metro line Ben Thanh- Suoi Tien project.
Recently VB LAW successfully represented a private TV production company from Vietnam in their convertible loan transaction where a Singaporean PE fund lent the company 5 million USD.
In 2013, VB LAW represented a leading movie production company in their convertible loan transaction where a US PE fund lent the company 1.5 million USD.
VB LAW successfully assisted a leading PE fund from Singapore to pledge their newly acquired shares for a loan of 30 million USD.
In 2012 and beginning of 2013, VB LAW assisted a leading PE fund from Indonesia investing in a listed luxury real estate development company in Vietnam to become a major shareholder in the company. The transaction was worth more than 15 million USD.
In 2011, VB LAW has been trusted to represent a leading multiple industries corporation from Korea to acquire two major entertainment corporations in Vietnam. Also, we successfully advised and assisted the client to structure this acquisition from offshore. The deal was worth USD 73.6 million.
- In early 2010, VB LAW has been successfully assisting a 100% foreign invested enterprise who was in charge of three real estate projects in Vietnam:
- Separating such enterprise into two other different enterprises;
- Separating the three real estate projects to be now fully responsible by separate enterprises;
- Changing the name of the projects;
- Reducing the investment capital to US$95.6 million and capital contribution to US$31.136 million;
- Replacing the authorized representative of the investors; replacing the legal representative;
- Changing the location for implementation of such projects; and
- Adjusting the schedule for implementation of such projects.
This was however the very first time a 100% foreign-invested enterprise investing in real estate was granted the rights to separate their real estate projects, which were previously assigned by the Department of Planning and Investment of Ho Chi Minh City, to be now fully responsible by separate enterprises.
- In 2009, VB LAW represented Long Hai Security in their M&A transaction with Securitas from Sweden who then successfully acquired 49 percent of shares from Long Hai Security. The purchase price is approximately US$4.6 million. With the annual sales of approximately VND$134 billion and 2,500 employees in Vietnam, Long Hai Security is known as the market leader in the Vietnamese security services market and they operate throughout Vietnam with their largest branches in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. On the other hand, Securitas is a knowledge leader in security originally from Sweden who has expanded their presences in 40 countries in North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia, Middle East, and Africa with a strong human resource of 240,000 employees.
- VB LAW has advised a foreign-invested real estate developer of the 300,000 square meters project in District 2, Ho Chi Minh City which is one of the three projects in the city’s programme to build 12,500 apartments for resettlement work in the Thu Thiem New Urban Area.
The project is designed to ensure the supply of social infrastructure, such as kindergartens, schools, hospitals and trading centers for a total population of more than 16,000 people.
A better life to the displaced residents once the project completed, as it will not only change the urban image of the area but also significantly improve the living standards of locals.
The project is scheduled to be completed in 24 months. Apartments will then be transferred to prospective owners by the end of 2011 or early 2012.
- Since 2009, VB LAW has continuously assisted a Malaysian real estate development company in legal procedures to develop the first model housing village in Vietnam. The project is covering almost 200 hectares with over US$ 600 million total capital investment.
- By the end of 2009, VB LAW has been successfully advised one of the ten biggest foreign direct investment (FDI) real estate projects of Vietnam in 2009. The project is located on 192,136 square meters in Binh Chanh District, Ho Chi Minh City including a housing section and a trade area, and will be the home for 4,000 residents. The project’s investment capital is US$294 million.
- VB LAW has successfully assisted a Malaysian real estate developer to develop a 100,000 square meters project in Lai Thieu Town, Binh Duong Province which is about over 20 kilometers away from Ho Chi Minh City, to be a shopping and household complex with the total investment capital to be about US$90 million.